[collectd] strategy for sending tags from multiple java daemons/jmx to kairosdb?

Kevin Burton burton at spinn3r.com
Sun Dec 21 05:03:27 CET 2014

I have a weird situation I’d like some advice with.

We use KairosDB which is a time series database. There’s a collectd plugin
for it.

The issue is that KairosDB uses tags … not metric name prefixes.

I want to collect Java memory values and send them to KairosDB , but I run
2-3 daemons per box.

So what I’d like to do is collect a metric, and apply a tag.  But it
doesn’t seem like there’s a way I can do that in collectd.

A couple ideas I had:

- refactor all my code to use containers.  That will take about a month :-P

- maybe run 2-4 collectd instances per host.  is there an easy way to do
this?

- Figure out a way to tag values that are being sent to kairosdb.. maybe I
can reformat the metric names into tags in the plugin directly?  (thinking
out loud).

would love some advice.

KEvin

--