[collectd] Choice of Plugin - Advice please

Bill Schwanitz bilsch at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 15:58:51 CET 2014

> On Dec 7, 2014, at 7:32 AM, Phil White <manx.biz at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All.
>
> A very quick question, which I hope is fairly easy to answer.
> I have given up on the standard plugins (specifically SNMP), because I cannot access all the data I require via this method. Therefore, I need to write something myself.
>
> As I see it, I have the following options:
> Perl plugin, Python plugin, or write my own daemon, and communicate to collectd via a Unix socket.
>
> If a large part of my decision making process involves keeping my consumption of cpu and memory resources to a minimum, which is the best path to go down?
>
> Thanks all,

This probably comes down to personal choice. I would say a script being exec’d by collect ( either as perl/python or a generic exec ) which simply logs in to the modem and spits out the values - any of the languages you listed should be up to the task.

To me, it depends on what you need to do logic-wise. I tend to write my execs in bash unless I am dealing with complex data structures ( hashes/arrays, parsing beyond simple grep/awk/cut ) as this tends to be lighter weight