[collectd] collectd exec plugin

Stuart Cracraft smcracraft at me.com
Tue Aug 19 07:43:46 CEST 2014

The issue is that collectd doesn't create its full path a la

  mkdir -p /a/b/c

Thus:

PUTVAL "some-fully-qualified-name/rabbitmq/more-rabbits" interval=10 N:2
PUTVAL "some-fully-qualified-name/rabbitmq/more-rabbits" interval=10 N:100
PUTVAL "some-fully-qualified-name/rabbitmq/more-rabbits" interval=10 N:500000

produces the error:

  -1 Type `all' isn't defined.

Clear as mud, eh?

more-rabbits has to be replaced with "gauge" or else you have to go through
a complex ritual to create a real name.

--Stuart

On Aug 18, 2014, at 6:18 PM, Stuart Cracraft <smcracraft at me.com> wrote:

> This appears to be related to the mystery - this code isn't commented at:
>
>   https://github.com/collectd/collectd/blob/master/src/utils_cmd_putval.c
>
> What does this do and why am I getting this error?
>

> 	ds = plugin_get_ds (type);
> if (ds == NULL) {
> 		print_to_socket (fh, "-1 Type `%s' isn't defined.\n", type);
> 		sfree (identifier_copy);
> 		return (-1);
> 	}
>

> On Aug 18, 2014, at 06:09 PM, Stuart Cracraft <smcracraft at me.com> wrote:
>
>> So I have just heard that collectd doesn't output all its error messages
>> to logfiles in accessible form, since it gives feedback to the console
>> for data collection (I would recommend putting it in /var/log/collectd.log.)
>>
>> So I shut it off and ran it with:
>>
>>   /usr/sbin/collectd -f -C /etc/collectd/collectd.conf
>>
>> on the console, which gave:
>>
>>   /usr/sbin/collectd -f -C /etc/collectd/collectd.conf
>>   Initialising rabbitmq_info
>>   ,-1 Type `all' isn't defined.
>>   -1 Type `all' isn't defined.
>>
>> What does the "-1 Type `all' isn't defined" mean?
>>
>> It isn't appearing in the standard output of my PUTVAL exec script
>> which looks very clean innocent:
>>
>> PUTVAL "some-fully-qualified-name/rabbitmq/more-rabbits" interval=10 N:2
>> PUTVAL "some-fully-qualified-name/rabbitmq/more-rabbits" interval=10 N:100
>> PUTVAL "some-fully-qualified-name/rabbitmq/more-rabbits" interval=10 N:500000
>> :
>> :
>> :
>>
>> Guidance you give on this will be appreciated!
>>
>> --Stuart

Stuart Cracraft
RHCE, RHCSA
mail: smcracraft at icloud.com