[collectd] Bugfix and PR for Collectd running on an overloaded server

Yves Mettier ymettier at free.fr
Tue Aug 5 10:51:44 CEST 2014

Hello,

I'm running Collectd on an overloaded server (with rrdcached
configuration).
A vanilla Collectd will crash for several reasons :

* PR #640 : when new servers appear, there are many rrd files to
created. With "CreateFilesAsync" set to true, lots of new threads appear
(thread bomb) to create new rrd files because there are too many IO for
what the server can do at the same time.

* Issue #661 : memory leak ! PR #640 will fix it.

* PR #690 : in some strage cases, the WriteQueuLimitLow/High parameters
will not work well. This is a bugfix.

* PR #691 : the WriteQueuLimitLow/High feature (introduced with PR #280
in collectd-5.4.0) is working well if you know what limits to set. But
there is no way to know how big the Write Queue is (stats from the
network plugin give information on the Read Queue). This PR adds
statistics on the Write Queue and help to tune the
WriteQueuLimitLow/High parameters.

I'm writing this mail mainly for Collectd Developers to ask them to
integrate (or not) those patched as soon as possible because my Collectd
server will soon be no more overloaded (which is the best fix for me).
And I will not be able to test anything in my overloaded environment.

Regards,
Yves

--
- Homepage       - http://ymettier.free.fr                             -