[collectd] How can I determine network interface status? (up/down)

bill bilsch at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 17:02:38 CEST 2014

I think what the question was really about was monitoring. not just metrics

the use if metrics in an overall monitoring solution is important. collectd itself I view more as a metrics collection framework

what is really needed as part of the answer is that collectd itself is not an alerting framework. eg they need I look at something like nagios. getting nagios checks to do threshold checks against historical metrics ( say link errors in the last 30 seconds ) is very helpful

collectd itself does not necessarily know not care about individual link state

original requester - hope that helps. was that really more your question/direction?

Bill Schwanitz

If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. - Albert Einstein.