[collectd] Averaging Samples when SigRok provides higher resolution

Bert Vermeulen bert at biot.com
Wed Sep 25 16:51:25 CEST 2013

https://github.com/kbingham/collectd/commit/47acd32d7a83538b74ec4d186af4891404f6ec08

> Is this something that is worth adding ?
> What are peoples initial thoughts, reviews, and reactions?

This suggestion has come up before, but I disagree with it.

- While you certainly do lose resolution by dropping measurements, averaging
doesn't really get you that resolution back. Any transient spikes that get
lost by measurement drops won't show up properly by averaging it all
together, either.

- The fact that you need to set MinimumInterval to 1 second because that's
as low as RRD goes, and that this is not good enough, just shows that RRD is
not the right tool for this particular job.

> Is there a better way to do this more generically across the code base?
> Perhaps for example - I should move the average functions to a util_avg.c

That would make this trivially available to other plugins as well, but I
think the two points above would hold for those cases as well.

--
Bert Vermeulen        bert at biot.com          email/xmpp