[collectd] 5.3.0 format_graphite: target buffer too small

Tom Lanyon tom at oneshoeco.com
Mon May 27 18:25:30 CEST 2013

We're testing an upgrade from our production collectd server from 4.10 to 5.3.0.

As part of this, we have a new 5.3.0 server running and have the old server forwarding all its metrics to see how the new setup handles the traffic.

The old server uses carbon_writer.py to write data into Graphite/Carbon and the v5 one is using the new write_graphite plugin, but we're seeing the following errors in the new server's syslog quite frequently:

collectd[20671]: format_graphite: target buffer too small
collectd[20671]: format_graphite: target buffer too small
collectd[20671]: Filter subsystem: Built-in target `write': Dispatching value to all write plugins failed with status -1.
collectd[20671]: Filter subsystem: Built-in target `write': Dispatching value to all write plugins failed with status -1.

Any suggestions on what this means or how to resolve it?

Thanks,
Tom