[collectd] Transmitting data using unreliable wireless mesh networks

Florian Forster octo at collectd.org
Wed May 8 16:14:18 CEST 2013

Hi Jan,

On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 09:23:31AM +0200, Jan Lühr wrote:
> Can you recommend strategies for doing so?

the _network plugin_ is not able to transmit values reliably. There is
no communication from the "server" back to the "client", so losses will
not be noted.

A TCP-based _NetCmd plugin_ is currently in development. It doesn't
currently allow to send values via TCP streams, but the idea is to
(eventually) get there.

Depending on how much dependencies you're willing to accept it might be
worth to evaluate the _AMQP plugin_. Someone once started a _ZeroMQ
plugin_ but it's not in the distribution right now.

I don't have any first-hand experience with SCTP, but as far as I know
it provides reliable datagrams. I haven't seen any work being done in
this direction yet, though.

Hope this helps; best regards,
—octo
--
collectd – The system statistics collection daemon
Website: http://collectd.org