[collectd] Collectd, snmp linux interface stats

Brendan Horan brendanhoran at basstech.net
Sun Jun 16 17:48:38 CEST 2013

Hi List,

I am really enjoying collectd, thank you.

I have two issues with collectd and SNMP plugin.

I am using the following block to collect interface traffic stats :
   <Data "std_traffic">
       Type "if_octets"
       Table true
       Instance "IF-MIB::ifDescr"
       Values "IF-MIB::ifInOctets" "IF-MIB::ifOutOctets"
   </Data>

This works fine for my Cisco kit, but all my Linux hosts never get any data inside collectd.
That seems odd becase if I run the following  "snmpwalk -v2c -c public $HOSTNAME IF-MIB::ifInOctets"

I get back the expected values.

I don't understand what I am doing wrong. The above works for my Cisco kit, works via snmpwalk.

The second issue I have and of much less importance is that on my Cisco switch the above data block only brings back one VLAN.
On my Cisco Router all VLAN's are brought back.

Unsure why my switch won't get all the VLANS, all physical switchports are fine.

Can someone give me a hand ?

Thanks
Brendan