[collectd] Compiling collectd with lxc

Michael Sioutis papito.dit at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 16:04:49 CEST 2013

Dear developers,

I am trying to compile collectd with lxc enabled.

I have cloned the following repo in a 64bit Fedora 12 (Constantine) machine:
https://github.com/dotcloud/collectd/tree/lxc-plugin-package

After that, I installed some required dependencies:
flex
byacc
autoconf
automake
libtool
pkgconfig
libtool-ltdl
libtdb
libtool-ltdl-devel
libgcrypt-devel
perl-ExtUtils-CBuilder
perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker
perl-ExtUtils-Embed
libvirt-devel
lxc-devel
libcap-devel

I issued the ./build.sh script which ran flawlessly and created among
others a 'configure' file.

So, as a next step, I ran the following command:
# ./configure --enable-lxc > configure.log 2>&1

This gave me a dependency error. If you like (and the list allows
attachments) I can send you the whole configuration log file,
but the main issues are the following:
]# grep lxc configure.log
checking lxcstats.h usability... no
checking lxcstats.h presence... no
checking for lxcstats.h... no
configure: running /bin/sh ./configure --disable-option-checking
'--prefix=/opt/collectd'  '--enable-lxc' --cache-file=/dev/null --srcdir=.
liblxcstats . . . . . no (lxcstats.h not found)
lxc . . . . . . . . . no (dependency error)

So, it seems that something is missing concerning lxc, namely lxcstats
libraries, but I do not know where to find those files.
Further, even if I try to enable the libvirt plugin that meets all
dependencies, I still get a dependency error:
# ./configure --enable-libvirt > configure.log 2>&1
# grep libvirt configure.log
checking libvirt/libvirt.h usability... yes
checking libvirt/libvirt.h presence... yes
checking for libvirt/libvirt.h... yes
configure: running /bin/sh ./configure --disable-option-checking
'--prefix=/opt/collectd'  '--enable-libvirt' --cache-file=/dev/null
--srcdir=.
libvirt . . . . . . . yes
libvirt . . . . . . . no (dependency error)

(Everything is 'yes', but I get a dependency error in the end...)

Any guidance and help would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Mike