[collectd] Help setting up rrdcached

Yves Mettier ymettier at free.fr
Wed Jan 30 16:49:28 CET 2013

Hello,

Here are some hints :
- with what user is running rrdcached ?

- does rrdcached user access to the rrd files ? (permission problem?)

- do the rrd files exist ? If not, you need to create them (with
CreateFiles option of rrdcached plugin). If this is the solution of your
problem, there are some solutions to improve performance more.

- are the rrdfiles created with the same parameters you are using in
rrdcached configuration options ? There are some parameters that make
rrd tools (rrdtool, rrdcached) unable to update a rrd file.

- check rrdcached to understand what status 107 is.

My 2 cents...

About the last question : rrdcached is very interesting when you want
to stop collectd for any reason (update the conf, segfault...). If you
are using rrdtool plugin and collectd stops, you loose your cache and
data will not be updated. With rrdcached, you can stop&start collectd
without loosing your cache.
For performance, I don't know (some say no, I think yes...)

Regards,
Yves

--
- Homepage       - http://ymettier.free.fr