[collectd] getting collectd snmp plugin to write

Ryan Frizzell ry.frizzell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 21:25:38 CET 2013

Hi All,

I'm trying to use the collectd snmp plugin to grab up information on switch
port usage via the snmp plugin. The problem that i'm running into is that
it seems the snmp plugin never writes. To troubleshoot this, I've
recompilied with debug options, set the logging to debug, and change the
write plugin to use csv. I can see that the rest of the plugins write with
no issue (cpu, etc etc). However the snmp plugin never attempts to write
any toughts on what could be causing this?

I can see the snmp plugin collecting what appears to be correct data but
there's never a write line in the logs. The only thing that looks a bit bad
is:

[debug] snmp plugin: host = sw1; data = std_traffic; Value 0 failed. It
probably left its subtree.
[debug] snmp plugin: host = sw1; data = std_traffic; Value 1 failed. It
probably left its subtree.

Here's what i've got in my config:

#
# Config file for collectd(1).
# Please read collectd.conf(5) for a list of options.
# http://collectd.org/
#

#Hostname    "localhost"
FQDNLookup   true
BaseDir     "/var/lib/collectd"
PIDFile     "/var/run/collectd.pid"
PluginDir   "/usr/lib/collectd"
TypesDB     "/usr/share/collectd/types.db"
Interval     10
ReadThreads  5

#LoadPlugin conntrack
#LoadPlugin cpu
#LoadPlugin df
#LoadPlugin disk
#LoadPlugin exec
#LoadPlugin interface
LoadPlugin irq
#LoadPlugin load
#LoadPlugin logfile
#LoadPlugin memory
#LoadPlugin network
#LoadPlugin ntpd
#LoadPlugin processes
#LoadPlugin tcpconns
#LoadPlugin swap
#LoadPlugin users

LoadPlugin syslog
LoadPlugin logfile

<Plugin logfile>
        LogLevel debug
        File  "/var/log/collectd.log"
        Timestamp true
        PrintSeverity true
</Plugin>

LoadPlugin snmp
<Plugin snmp>
   <Data "std_traffic">
      Type "if_octets"
      Table true
      Instance "IF-MIB::ifName"
      Values "IF-MIB::ifInOctets" "IF-MIB::ifOutOctets"
   </Data>
   <Host "sw1">
      Address "192.168.0.4"
      Version 2