[collectd] Processes Plugin CPU Percentage

Yves Mettier ymettier at free.fr
Mon Jan 7 18:44:00 CET 2013

Hello,

Yes, this is a serious question if you are using some aggregation
plugin on various architectures (for example Solaris and Linux).

The value is not exactly in milliseconds but in jiffies.
On your Linux, one jiffy is one millisecond. This is probably why you
say it returns CPU clock time in milliseconds.

On other Linux (old ones or tuned ones) and other OS, a jiffy can be
different.

Aggregating values that are measured with different jiffies will result
in strange values. The only "unit" that can be used here is %.

I have already worked on a patch, but for Solaris
(https://github.com/collectd/collectd/pull/189).
I have stopped my work because I don't know if collectd should compute
% instead of jiffies or if it should send both data : % and jiffies. I
think both is better (and add the possibility to configure collectd to
get only one).

Regards,
Yves