[collectd] Chef recpie for collectd

Miah Johnson miah at chia-pet.org
Sat Feb 9 02:31:14 CET 2013

Hi Florian,

A coworker and I wrote this cookbook months ago and needed functionality
in the 5.x collectd branch that wasn't available in the distributions
usual 4.x collectd branch. Primarily we were doing this to get the
included graphite plugin. After reading through this discussion and
taking a look through the code I'm pretty sure the bug isn't in my code
though =) I think this is a problem in the 'ark' cookbook, which is what
handles the actually download/compile/install portion of the install.
So I propose the following to hopefully resolve this issue:

 * I'll mangle the included url attribute so out of the box
_install_from_source.rb doesn't work.
 * Include a note in the README.md about polite mirroring and the
possibility of abusing collectd.org.
 * Get issues filed about ark, I've already forked and am working on a
fix so hopefully we will have this resolved by the end of the weekend.
 * I'll also setup an issue on the chef-collectd issue tracker to track
the completeness of each of these resoltions and will update this thread
with the issue url shortly.

Of course this is software we're talking about and we know how people
handle software updates (or rather how they don't) so for now its
probably prudent to leave your redirect up. But we might want to update
ContactMe.chef to include some details about local mirrors and how to
update the attribute appropriately (I can assist with this of course). I
could also post a document covering these things to the chef-collectd
github and you could redirect to that. Lets discuss.

I'm sorry for causing this problem, so please let me know if there is
anything else I can do to help. Feel free to contact me here, and I'm
always on freenode as 'miah' and on twitter as @miah_

Thanks
-Miah