[collectd] Chef recpie for collectd (was: http://collectd.org/temp/ContactMe.chef)

Florian Forster octo at collectd.org
Fri Feb 8 10:59:37 CET 2013

Hi Noah,

On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 01:44:19AM -0800, Noah Kantrowitz wrote:
> I actually double-checked mine after seeing the notice posted since I
> know a lot of people use it and I am only doing package installs so it
> should't be hitting anything on your servers (unless you happen to
> host an Ubuntu mirror).

I only CC'ed you as original author of the repository and potential
maintainer for an "official" version. Your code doesn't do the downloads
as far as I can tell. Sorry for the confusion.

> As for standardization, my cookbook was among the earliest for
> collectd so it got spread out a lot that way, but there are some
> serious divergences in a few forks so it isn't totally clear what to
> do.

I was hoping that people would send PRs for their changes if there is an
official repository.

> The Chef community site unfortunately doesn't (yet) support
> github-style namespacing so there can only be one cookbook published
> there as "collectd"

Oh, I didn't even know there was something like an official reposiroty
of Chef cookbooks. Where can I find that?

> but I'm happy to work with the other authors to figure out which that
> should be.

Perfect, thank you :)

> As for the last-modified stuff,
> https://gist.github.com/coderanger/08e93d2f03bd4e875264 shows how to
> do that in Chef for anyone scripting source installs. Hope this helps!

Thanks ;)

Best regards,
—octo
--
collectd – The system statistics collection daemon
Website: http://collectd.org