[collectd] RRDs on SSD - performance degredation [resend without images]

Cyril Feraudet collectd at feraudet.com
Fri Aug 16 10:14:14 CEST 2013

rrdcached is a daemon and a Collectd plugin who replace rrdtool plugin.

There is no need to modify your architecture. Just install rrdcached and
configure rrdcached Collectd plugin to work with.

Before :

LoadPlugin rrdtool
<Plugin rrdtool>
  DataDir "/var/lib/collectd/rrd"
</Plugin>

After :
LoadPlugin rrdcached
<Plugin rrdcached>
  DaemonAddress "unix:/var/run/rrdcached/rrdcached.sock"
  DataDir "/var/lib/collectd/rrd"
  CreateFiles true
  CollectStatistics true
</Plugin>

Cyril

Le 2013-08-16 10:02, Vitaly Belousov a écrit :

> Hello colleagues,
>
> Does rrdcached work the same time as network? I've created server to
> collect data from several servers thru network plugin. Also I planned
> to use rrdcached to decrease io but I figured out that its not working
> same time when network plugin enabled.
>
> Is it an open and well known issue, or its not an issue but the
> feature?
>
> Vitaly
>
> On Friday, August 16, 2013, Cyril Feraudet wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Do you use rrdcached ? If not, use it and all you i/o problem will
> disappear.
>
> Regards,
>
> Cyril
>
> Le 2013-08-16 00:39, Jesse Reynolds a écrit :
>
> Hello,
>
> We're noticing some interesting patterns in collectd / librrd is
> flushing RRD files to disk.
>
> We have a 1TB volume for RRD files, which is at 75% capacity. Over the
> last few weeks the response time of the disks has slowly degraded, with
> a few sudden jumps (see graph below). When it jumps up in response
> time, it seems collectd responds by halving the write ops, and octets.
> Is it just deciding to flush half as often? If anyone has some pointers
> to the details of this behaviour, that'd be great.
>
> Also, does anyone recognise this pattern as being related to how full
> the SSD backed volume is, and perhaps the disks are now needing to do
> garbage collection? I'm pretty new to SSDs, and I suspect RRDs are a
> fairly uncommon way to utilise SSD drives.
>
> FWIW, we have 5 x 256 GB Micron SSDs in a IBM hardware RAID 5 set. The
> OS is linux (ubuntu 12.04).
>
> disk time, ms:
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5932161/visage/disk%20time%20ms%201%20month.png [1]
>
> bytes per second: