[collectd] postgresql plugin query help

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Mon Apr 1 14:26:05 CEST 2013

Hi Andrew,

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 02:20:10PM -0700, Andrew Hammond wrote:
> I have a working collectd setup publishing to graphite. I have the default
> postgresql queries working against a postgres database. I want to add the
> following query. https://gist.github.com/ahammond/811b3532f229bc4ec386 It
> doesn't appear to be generating any data. The existing default queries
> continue working, and I don't get any error messages either in syslog or on
> the console when I run it there directly.
>
> I've tested the query in the database and it runs error free. I've tried
> adding a ; to the end of the Statement string and putting single-quotes (')
> around the $1 parameter. Neither of these things seem to have any effect.

Hrm, the query and collectd configuration look fine to me. It's only
going to work with Postgres 9.2, though, as older versions don't have
the 'state' field in pg_stat_activity. If that is not the case, you
should see an error in the collectd log, though.

> What are my next steps to get this working please?

Which version of collectd do you use? The only case in which you should
not see any collectd error messages is when the query does not return
any rows (which should never happen in your case). Do you see any error
messages in the PostgreSQL log? I suppose that the easiest way to
further debug the issue is to increase log verbosity in Postgres. Do you
see any messages about the query being executed?

HTH,