[collectd] Data from Interface plugin on a per-IP address basis?

John Bergmans jbergmans at bergmans.com
Mon Sep 10 01:39:16 CEST 2012

Hello collectd community.

I'm wondering if it's possible to monitor network interface traffic on a per-IP address basis.  In other words, can network traffic data be split out into Rx and Tx data for each remote IP address for each interface of the host server?

I've tried using the "--enable-getifaddrs" switch when making collectd, but it doesn't seem to change the output returned by the daemon.  It's entirely possible however that I've overlooked something with using this switch.

One solution I'm considering is to create a custom plugin for this purpose.  Development of this plugin would essentially involve modifying the "protocols" plugin to read from /proc/net/tcp (rather than the file /proc/net/netstat that is currently used by protocols).  Before leaping to this solution though, I thought it would be prudent to check with the community to ensure that I'm not re-inventiing the wheel.

Any help or insights you can provide would be appreciated.

BTW, I'm working on a WebSocket-based interface for collectd called "collectdViewer".  More info on this system can be found at: http://collectdviewer.com

Regards,

John Bergmans
Principal Engineer / Owner