[collectd] Use collectd daemon to send stats for itself and other hosts?

Caleb Maclennan caleb at alerque.com
Sat Sep 1 11:15:43 CEST 2012

Is there a way to report statistics for more than one host using a single
daemon/config file? I use a central server using rrdtool to log and several
servers pass along their stats via the network plugin.

One of the client machines is able to reach several devices and send out
stats for hosts other than itself. I would like these to be logged in their
own respective host files when they hit rrdtool. I can pass along the stats
but I can't figure out how to scope the config such that they get tagged
with a hostname other than the host running the daemon.

Is this possible? If so how would the config have to be setup? If it
matters, on of the things I'm probing for on other hosts is memcached
stats. I cannot get into the machines to run collectd locally but can pick
up data from another machine in the same cluster. However, I don't want to
the two sets of stats scrambled under the same hostname in the logs.

Thanks for any pointers!
Caleb

P.S. I posted this question to the Unix&Linux Stack Exchange site if
anybody wants to answer there and earn rep / promote collectd; however I
will be sure to cross post anything I learn from answers that come in here.

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/46834/is-collectd-able-to-send-data-tagged-as-a-host-other-than-itself