[collectd] cpu usage

collectd at faxm0dem.org collectd at faxm0dem.org
Wed Jul 11 13:10:26 CEST 2012

Hi Massimo,

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:14:44AM +0200, Massimo Canonico wrote:
> http://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin:CPU
> I should be able to convert the jiffies into %, but I'm not sure how.

Actually, you are already looking at a percentage. The reason you might
think the sum is not always 100% is because the color of "Idle" is white.

In fact, it's not always a percentage, depending on the system architecture,
but definitely always a multiple thereof. In linux, a "jiffy"¹ often
corresponds to 1/100th of a second, so you're actually looking at the graph
measuring the number of 1/100th of seconds passed every second, which is
obviously always equal to 100 :-)

--
¹ Quoting Wikipedia, "a jiffy is the duration of one tick of the system timer
interrupt".