[collectd] write_http silently discarding packets

Florian Forster octo at collectd.org
Sun Jan 29 13:39:13 CET 2012

Hi Karsten,

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 02:30:38PM -0800, Karsten McMinn wrote:
> We've been load testing write_http on a collectd 4.10.5 server thats
> taking around 500pps (packets per second) worth of updates via the
> network plugin and writing it via json post with the write_http
> plugin.
>
> Regardless of how much traffic we send, the write_http plugin never
> pushes more than 20-30pps.

the write_http plugin will write as many "value lists" into a 4 kByte
buffer [*] as it can fit and will only then send the data to the server.
Therefore, simply comparing the number of packets being exchanges it not
a reasonable measure.

Can you please verify that data is *actuallY* lost? I don't see any
indication for this right now.

Best regards,
—octo

[*] The buffer size is currently fixed, but we can talk about making
    that configurable if that's a problem.
GnuPG: 0x0C705A15
http://octo.it/