[collectd] Graphing collectd stats with python

Jason Stelzer jason.stelzer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 17:03:33 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 3:32 AM, <collectd at faxm0dem.org> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> We've been using collectd for a couple of months now in our organization,
> in
> replacement of an in-house pure-perl tool. We've then adapted our in-house
> visualization tool to take into account the collectd-rrdtool directory
> tree. We had very specific requirements, which I'd be happy to share, and
> you certainly have your own. Please post your requirements to the list, so
> we'll be more apt to answer relevantly. As far as your rrdcached
> requirement
> goes, I think it's pretty safe to say that whatever implementation you'll
> be
> using, as long as your RRDCACHED_ADDRESS environment variable correctly
> points to your rrdcached socket, it will make use of it.

Thanks for the reply. Last night I sat down with the rrd code and got a
much better feel for how things work. I think my initial issue was that I
was conflating reading with collecting and thinking I would be using
collectd for both. So far, things are smoothing out for me as I understand
more about how things need  to work.

You're correct that setting the RRDCACHED_ADDRESS before I start calling
the python rrdtool resolved the main concerns that I had.

Thanks :)

--
J.