[collectd] Nightly cron jobs...

collectd at faxm0dem.org collectd at faxm0dem.org
Thu Jan 12 10:28:19 CET 2012

Salut Cyril,

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 08:32:30PM +0100, Cyril Feraudet wrote:
> We use collectd at work (French Bank) to collectd traditional performances of actually 4275 servers.
> We use also Collectd to retrieve several information about batch, power consuption, etc by using custom "types" and "notifications".
> The easier  way is to use unixsock plugin to send custom statistics and/or notification.
> About collect interval you can pick them each second if necessary ...

I'm interested in sharing experience with large setups.
I guess you're using the network plugin to send data to some collectd
servers. How many of these do you have? If you're using RRD files, how many
per server? Do you use custom RRAs? rrdcached?

In our case, we monitor 2015 clients, sending data to 4 servers with 100k
RRD files each. We're currently evaluating rrdcached performance with respect
to plain rrdtool. The load average of the 4 servers is between 1 and 2,
depending on the number of clients (between 300 and 600). They average
between 500 and 1000 I/Os per second. Total network throughput
(collectd-network) is just above 1Mbyte / second.