[collectd] Graphing collectd stats with python

Jason Stelzer jason.stelzer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 22:23:56 CET 2012

I am working on setting up collectd. The data aggregation piece is working
reasonably well.

Right now, I'm deploying on centos 5.4.

I created rpms for rrdtool 1.4.5 and collectd 5.0.1 because the existing
rrdtool rpm was from before rrdcached existed.

I'm using rrdcached for write performance reasons.

I am at the point now where I'm wanting to generate graphs for the stats
collectd has gathered. Given that I'm using rrdcached, I need whatever I
end up using to be aware of the cache.

I've taken a quick look at the collectd_unixsock and collectd_network
python programs in contrib. I have also had a quick look at the rrdtool
python library. If it weren't for the cache, generating graphs would be
pretty straight forward. I'd prefer to drive my graphs off of collectd
rather than rrdtool directly. That way I could swap out storage later. I
also prefer a python api rather than shelling out to call rrdtool.

I saw in the archives a couple collectd graphite plugins. I've done a bit
of work with graphite in the past and given that I'm doing most of my work
in python, it is very attractive.

It is here that I'm soliciting feedback from people who've been using
collectd for a while. What have you been using to visualize the data? Any
thoughts on rrdtool vs graphite?

--
J.