[collectd] How to commit to gerrit

Florian Forster octo at collectd.org
Mon Sep 5 04:02:03 CEST 2011

[CC'ing the list; I'm sure you're not the only one having trouble …]

Hi Toni,

On Sun, Sep 04, 2011 at 09:12:26PM +0300, Toni Ylenius wrote:
> I made some changes regarding to change If7c09000, but I have some
> problems with gerrit. I think that gerrit is quite complicated to use.

I think you're right, unfortunately. I'd argue that its workflow doesn't
fit my usula approach of feature branches very well and some of it's
interface I only discovered because I've used the code review tool
that influenced Gerrit.

I've written a little guide in our wiki. It doesn't do much explaining
*why* things are done in one way or another, but it might help you to
*use* the tool (I hope). If it doesn't help you, please let me know so
I can improve it. You can fin dit at:

  http://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Gerrit

> Did the modifications
> $ git commit

That should have been "git commit --amend". That totally hides the
development process from the history and makes it impossible to
attribute one new feature to multiple authors, but it's the way Gerrit
works. And, no, I don't like it and would love to see Gerrit support
feature branches at some point.

> I verified that the Change-Id: was same as in the gerrit webpage.
> gerrit_sysctl_fix:refs/for/master

Once the commits are merged into one (the wiki page tells you how) this
should work *because* you have the Change-Id. Otherwise it'll create a
new change.

> gerrit_sysctl_fix:refs/changes/If7c09000
> gerrit_sysctl_fix:refs/changes/10/10/1

Close. Don't actually know about the first one, but I know this works:

  gerrit_sysctl_fix:refs/changes/10

Hope this helps,
—octo
GnuPG: 0x0C705A15