[collectd] improve Processes plugin

Florian Forster octo at collectd.org
Sun Sep 4 18:18:31 CEST 2011

Hi Paul,

On Sun, Sep 04, 2011 at 01:19:16PM +0300, Paul Colomiets wrote:
> But I would like to propose another way to solve the problem. I'd like
> processes to be matched by environment.

I'm not sure this is solving the same problem. I don't think the PPID is
necessarily present in the environment and even if it were you'd need to
reconfigure and restart collectd everytime the process whose children
you're trying to watch restarts. As an alternative, you'd need special
logic in the processes plugin, so we don't gain simplicity from it.

> Also I find it easier to implement than subtree search.

That's possibly true for Linux, but on many systems the processes plugin
supports I'd guess it is way easier to get the PPID than the
environment, given that general information about the process is already
available in the plugin.

Best regards,
—octo
GnuPG: 0x0C705A15