[collectd] Native output plugin for Graphite

Scott Sanders jssanders at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 18:10:01 CEST 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 1:57 AM, Gregory Szorc <gregory.szorc at gmail.com>wrote:

> Cool! You may be interested in my similar Python plugin. Mine initially had
> a very similar feature set as yours, but GitHub pull requests have slowly
> trickled in with new features, including deriving values. Feel free to
> reference/copy the ideas! https://github.com/indygreg/collectd-carbon

Thanks, Greg! I started with your plugin and moved to a compiled solution
because python wasn't available on some of the hosts I am monitoring. Your
work was a big help to me and a great source of inspiration.

I'm curious why you added the ability to send derived values to carbon. That
feels contrary to the "Graphite way" of doing things, since derivative() and
nonNegativeDerivative() provide the same functionality.

-Scott