[collectd] Server does not receive client data (network between both looks OK).

Bruno Costacurta techie at costacurta.org
Fri Oct 14 23:09:31 CEST 2011

[snip]

> Both server and client shows no firewall :
>
> ###### server
> iptables -L
> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
>
> ##### client
> /sbin/iptables -L
> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
>
> Same on the router.

As suggested in previous email the telnet use TCP, but collect UDP.
So using netcat tools I tried to sent UDP and TCP to the server
collectd from the client :

nc  -w 5 X.X.X.X 22061      -> TCP reaches the server
nc  -u -w 5 X.X.X.X 22061   -> UDP do NOT reaches the server

So apparently it is a network problem.
The TCP protocol reach the collectd server, but the UDP cannot reach
the server.

But there is no firewall on server neither client.
So why this different behavior ?

Bye,
Bruno