[collectd] snmp plugin - traffic for multiple interfaces

David Halko davidhalko at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 06:27:38 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 7:38 AM, Csillag Tamas
<cstamas at digitus.itk.ppke.hu>wrote:

> hi
>
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 01:23:55PM +0100, Beck, Stefan wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > i would like to ask i fit is possible to collect a summarized traffic for
> multiple interface
> >
> > e.g the overall traffic of 3 or 4 switchports
> > something like this:
> >
> >     <Data "std_traffic">
> >       Type "if_octets"
> >       Table true
> >       Instance "IF-MIB::ifDescr"
> >       Values "IF-MIB::ifInOctets" "IF-MIB::ifOutOctets"
> >     </Data>
> >
> >     <Host "sw.mydomain.org">
> >       Address "192.168.0.42"
> >       Version 2
> >       Community "another_string"
> >       Collect "std_traffic_if1" + "std_traffic_if2" + "std_traffic_if3"
> >     </Host>
> >
> > any help appreciated
>
> I think this is a visualisation issue.
> You collect two values but when you make a graph of it you display the
> overall traffic (you add the two values).
> I do not see the need to sum the data while collecting.
>
> Regards,
>  cstamas

If the ports are being trunked, for bandwidth or availability requirements,
I can completely understand the requirements.

Individually, the ports may mean very little, but together there are
business processes which may require adjustments.

For example, 4 quad 1 Gig Ethernet ports may be used together, with the
expectation that 2 can fail but enough bandwidth would still be supplied to
meet the business need. The customer may wish to set a threshold for
bandwidth at 1.8 GBit. Also, the throughput of the set may be compared
consistently when equipment is rebooted nightly, weekly, or monthly, on a
rolling schedule. Only the aggregate may truly be important from a
performance management expectation.