[collectd] SNMP Tables Question

Steve Thompson steve.thompson at shazamteam.com
Mon Jun 27 16:29:27 CEST 2011

Hi,

Does anyone have any working examples of using SNMP tables in Collectd? It's been driving me crazy for a few weeks now!

Inside the collectd.conf file there is an example configuration. I've created a host like this

       <Host "zeus1.dev">
               Address "zeus1.dev"
               Version 1
               Community "public"
               Collect "std_traffic"
       </Host>

And used the sample query

       <Data "std_traffic">
               Type "if_octets"
               Table true
               InstancePrefix "traffic"
               Instance "IF-MIB::ifDescr"
               Values "IF-MIB::ifInOctets" "IF-MIB::ifOutOctets"
       </Data>

Which gives me, without fail, five graphs for eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3 and lo.

However, if I use snmptable I get

root at collectd1:~# snmptable -v 1 -c public zeus1.dev.shazamteam.net IF-MIB::ifDescr
Was that a table? RFC1213-MIB::ifDescr

So the OIDs I'm querying as a table aren't a table. However, if I do this:

snmptable -v 1 -c public zeus1.dev.shazamteam.net ZXTM-MIB::nodeTable
SNMP table: ZXTM-MIB::nodeTable

  nodeIPAddress nodePort nodeHostName etc........

I get back a table. If I put this table in to collectd.conf - this is what's there currently but I've tried loads of variations (but still not the right one)

        <Data "node_traffic">
                Type "zeus_data"
                Table true
                InstancePrefix "traffic"
                Instance "ZXTM-MIB::nodeTable"
                Values "ZXTM-MIB::nodeBytesToNodeLo" "ZXTM-MIB::nodeBytesFromNodeLo"
        </Data>

Is this message repeated in the logs...

[2011-06-27 14:49:17] snmp plugin: OID "ZXTM-MIB::interfaceTxBytesHi."eth2"" is undefined (type ASN_NULL)

What it looks like to me is that collectd collects using table = true from things that aren't tables and vice versa. It is true that "eth2" is undefined but it also has nothing to do with the ZXTM::nodetable

Can anyone help me see what I'm missing?

Thanks

Steve