[collectd] On $Interval differences between hosts

Trent W. Buck twb-mailman-collectd at cyber.com.au
Wed Jun 22 10:01:10 CEST 2011

Sebastian Harl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 02:07:29PM +1000, Trent W. Buck wrote:
> > Suppose I have centralized monitoring (i.e. hub-and-spoke), similar to
> > centralized syslogging.  On the central host (accepts UDP and writes
> > RRD), I have
> >
> >     Interval 60
> >
> > On the nodes (collectd data and write to UDP), I have
> >
> >     Interval 10
> >
> > Is a given RRD file updated every ten seconds, or every minute?
>
> All RRD files are updated in "the right" interval. I.e., RRDs containing
> data from some node are updated using a ten seconds interval and those
> belonging to the central server are updated using a 60 seconds interval.
>
> Each plugin "knows" the interval with which it's queried and passes that
> information along when dispatching data to collectd. This information is
> also transferred over the network and, thus, available on the server as
> well.

OK, that makes sense.  So a follow-on question: if I define thresholds
in the central hub collectd, do all thresholds apply/check every sixty
seconds, or do they "do the right thing"?

If I happened to have it the other way around (leaves update each
minute, hub updates even ten seconds), I can imagine the thresholds
all freaking out (when $Important is set) because they haven't seen an
update for five intervals (50s)...

(BTW, thanks for the fast responses :-)