[collectd] Wish for tcpconns ListeningPorts privileged

Trent W. Buck twb-mailman-collectd at cyber.com.au
Wed Jun 22 08:58:24 CEST 2011

I'm using tcpconns to look at e.g. the number of open SSH and HTTP
connections.

It's really useful that it auto-detects which ports are in use, rather
than me having to list them.  It means if a new service is added to a
machine (especially a customer machine which I monitor, but don't
directly control), collectd will automatically pick up on it.

Unfortunately, my users are in the habit of also running ssh -L and -X
and NFS, and these basically get random ports, which leads to an
explosion of annoying extra graphs.

It would be nice if I could set ListeningPorts to "privileged", which
would make it work as "true" for ports 1024 and below, and like
"false" for ports 1025 and above.

In the meantime I haven't thought of a workaround, but I was thinking
I could possibly just have a hourly cron job that does something like

    rm -rf /var/lib/collectd/rrd/*/tcpconns-[^1]???*-local

Or maybe I'll just turn tcpconns off and use stuff like curl-json to
test the availability of services from the client side...