[collectd] Need advice: Perl or Pyhon for writing plugins?

XANi xani666 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 23:54:01 CEST 2011

Dnia 2011-06-14, wto o godzinie 10:39 -0700, O G pisze:

> Hello,
>
> My team and I are interested in writing a plugin that cleans old collectd-generated files/logs (so we don't have to rely on an external config/tool like logrotate to clean up after collectd).  We've written such a plugin in Java, but discovered that Java plugin support is not included in all/many collectd packages out there, so we can't count on this working for all Linux distros, for example.
>
> Thus, we are now considering writing this plugin in either Perl or Python.
>
> So our questions are:
>
> 1) Is either Perl or Python plugin support available in all collectd packages or at least collectd packages the most popular Linux distros use?
>
> 2) Should we use Perl or Python for this - are they equal in terms of capabilities, limitations, and being updated with every collectd release?
>
> Any help would be *greatly* appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Otis

What exactly do you mean by "collectd-generated files/logs" ? daemon
logs, .rrd files, both or something else.
And why it have to be collectd plugin, you can make standalone program
and just communicate via unixsock with collectd.

--
Mariusz Gronczewski (XANi) <xani666 at gmail.com>
GnuPG: 0xEA8ACE64