[collectd] liboping: use SO_TIMESTAMP when available

Florian Forster octo at collectd.org
Sat Jan 15 20:42:44 CET 2011

Hi Bruno,

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 07:44:49PM +0100, Bruno Prémont wrote:
> Current implementation of liboping relies on getting enough CPU shares
> and getting those in a timely manner in order to determine correct ping
> response times.
>
> Avoid this limitation when kernel is able to provide packet reception
> times using SO_TIMESTAMP. (as is done by iputils's ping utility)

thank you very much for your patch! You're right, this may increase
accuracy of measures roundtrip times, especially on busy systems.

I've applied your patch to the master branch of the (liboping) Git
repository and I'll probably package a new minor version of liboping
soon.

Best regards,
—octo
GnuPG: 0x0C705A15