[collectd] [Collectd] Host resolution

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Wed Aug 10 10:03:04 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:02:52AM +0200, Mariusz Gronczewski wrote:
> 2011/8/9 Jeremy MAURO <jmauro at antidot.net>:
> new versions of wireshark have collectd protocol decoder, that + ngrep
> should find it fast :)
>
> on related topic does anyone know is it possible to filter like
> "ignore values if $host in putval doesn't match reverse DNS of host
> that send it" ?

That's not currently possible. That information is only available to the
'network' plugin. However, it would be possible to let the network
plugin add the remote host's IP address to all received value-lists
using the meta-data mechanism. This could then be used in a new "match"
plugin to check the reverse DNS with the hostname provided in the value-
list. Feel free to send patches ;-) I'll add a note to the wiki and
might take care of it *some* day ;-)

> > Let me explain the reason, on my collectd server I see rrdbases for the
> > hostname 'localhost' (of course it is not from my collectd server
> > itself), do cd ..I have a way to know which server is the sender? How to
> > I determine the trouble maker?
> >
> > Of course I have 500 servers and it is not possible to stop the server
> > one by one :D

The stuff suggested above would make it possible to detect, log,
whatever stuff like that as well ;-)

Cheers,