[collectd] perl -mCollectd --error--> Bareword "LOG_ERR" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at Collectd.pm line 164.

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 07:06:05 CEST 2011

I was trying to load the OpenVZ.pm perl plugin into my collectd 4.8.2
instance on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid).  It wasn't working; after some
digging I managed to produce the following issue.  It's still present
in git HEAD.  I can't see anyone else mentioning this issue in this
list's archives, so

  1. WTF is going on; and
  2. why is it (apparently) only affecting me?

Below is the transcript showing the issue on a Debian Sid which doesn't
have collectd installed yet, but just loading the pm directly from git.

PS: removing the "use strict;" line works around the problem, but I'd
prefer not to do that.

$ git describe
collectd-5.0.0-21-g99364c7
$ git pull
Already up-to-date.
$ cd bindings/perl/lib
$ PAGER=cat git log -1 Collectd.pm
commit 2c4059f3b4da4adceb0547bd2d7e2d69c20e1169