[collectd] Illegal attemp to update ...

Florian Forster octo at collectd.org
Wed Sep 29 08:36:56 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 05:46:24PM +0700, Anh K. Huynh wrote:
> I see the following messages from collectd:
>
> > illegal attempt to update using time 1285669914 when last update
> > time is 1285669915

> What's kind of problem?

somehow a value with the timestamp "1285669914" is submitted to the
daemon. The daemon checks its internal cache and finds out that the last
data received for this metric is "1285669915" -- i.e. the "new" value is
older than the value before that.

The most common cause for this is that the metric is collected twice.
Maybe the name isn't unique or maybe you're running two instances of
collectd on a client machine.

Regards,
--octo
GnuPG: 0x0C705A15