[collectd] mysql plugin display same data for different databases

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Fri Sep 3 10:50:53 CEST 2010

Hey,

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 08:36:15AM +0200, Florian Forster wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 05:54:43PM +0800, Salimane Adjao Moustapha wrote:
> >  even though i specified different databases , collection3 display the same
> > data for all the databases.
> >
> >  <Database core>
> > Host "10.0.0.1"
>
> > <Database core_oma>
> > Host "10.0.0.1"
>
> > <Database core_uutiset>
> >  Host "10.0.0.1"
>
> thanks to MySQL, the terminology here is a bit confusing. The term
> "database" is used both, for the MySQL *process* and for an abstract
> unit -- a set of tables -- within such a process.
>
> The MySQL plugin collects information concerning the *process*, not the
> set of tables. Therefore, connecting to the same process three times
> *should* produce the same statistics three times.

The problem is that "SHOW STATUS" reports accumulated information for
the whole process only. If you know some way to get statistics about a
single database only, that could be added to the plugin as well. If you
did up a way to get those information, I'd provide a patch for the
plugin ;-)

> In all likelihood, you can omit the "Database" option within the
> "<Database />" block altogether -- "selecting" a "database" is only
> necessary to satisfy some weird access configurations, afaIk.

Right ;-)

Cheers,