[collectd] swap plugin improvements

Florian Forster octo at collectd.org
Wed Oct 6 11:43:59 CEST 2010

Hi Matthew and Aurélien,

sorry for the very delayed reply. Fortunately I've kept track of this
patch in the version 5.0 wiki page, otherwise I would have forgotten
about it.

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 12:01:40PM +0200, Aurélien REYNAUD wrote:
> To be clear on the subject, the solaris swap command can be run with
> one of the two arguments -l or -s.

Okay, if I understand you correctly, then "-l" reports the swap usage
from the device's perspective while "-s" uses the point of view from
virtual memory.

I think either view has its advantages, so I think the best way to go is
to let the user chose what to see. I can't really think if a clever name
for the config option though. What do you think about "ReportPhysical" /
"ReportVirtual"? (Setting both to true will result in both views being
collected.)

With regard to the physical view: Would it make sense to report this on
a per-disk (per-partition) basis? For example:

> root at uv8801xr:/root> swap -l
> swapfile             dev  swaplo blocks   free
> /dev/vx/dsk/swapvol 242,5      16 24576704 23138752

This could be reported as

  uv8801xr/swap-vx-dsk-swapvol/swap-used = 24576704 - 23138752
  uv8801xr/swap-vx-dsk-swapvol/swap-free = 23138752

We could possibly configurate this behavior with something like
  ReportPhysical no/yes/separate/combined
where "yes" and "combined" are synonymous.

Regards,
—octo
GnuPG: 0x0C705A15
http://octo.it/