[collectd] Vmware Client SDK plugin

Florian Forster octo at collectd.org
Thu Nov 25 09:27:50 CET 2010

Hi Edward,

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 05:33:03PM -0800, Edward Muller wrote:
> I'm not sure the process to get this merged in, but I figured it would
> be useful to some people.

thank you very much for your code :) Sending it to the mailing list is,
of course, a great fist step ;) I'm certain many people welcome a plugin
for VMware.

> This is against collectd-4.7.4, so it may be a little stale as well.

I think you're not using anything that has changed since then. You may
get trivial merge conflicts in "configure.in" and "src/Makefile.am", of
course. If you want I can rebase the branch to the current master for
you.

> Let me know what's needed to get this merged officially upstream and
> I'll be happy to work on it in my spare time.

What caught my eye first was the long list of dynamically loaded
functions and the dlopen() code to get links to them. Isn't there a
header file available declaring this functions, so we can simply link
against the client library?

If the VMware Client SDK is available to the public I can take a look
myself. Do you know?

The second thing is a missing license. In my experience the license of
libraries and SDKs like the VMware Client SDK are hardly ever GPL
compatible. I suggest to use the MIT licesne because it's used by a few
other plugins already [0] (you can copy the license header from the
"NetApp" plugin for example), but any other permissive license should be
fine, too.

The schema in which data is dispatched should probably be changed a bit,
too. For example, the "mapped", "active", "overhead", balooned",
"swapped", "shared", and "used" memory blocks each have their own
"type". This should be changed to:

  type:          memory
  type instance: mapped, active, overhead, ...

Last and least: The (C-)type "counter_t" and supporting code should be
changed to "derive_t".

Best regards,
—octo

[0] <http://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Category:MIT_License>