[collectd] swap plugin improvements

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Wed May 19 11:42:28 CEST 2010

Hi Aurélien,

thank you very much for your patches :)

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 03:05:11PM +0200, collectd at wattapower.net wrote:
> The second patch adds support for the two-args version of swapctl() in
> the actual swap plugin code.

I've applied the first two patches to the master branch, so they will be
included in the next feature release of collectd.

> As a consequence the returned metrics are quite different. "reserved"
> is no more, and "used" + "free" reflects the total amount of on-disk
> swap space. This is in contrast to the libkstat implementation where
> "used" + "free" + "reserved" added up to more than on-disk swap, as it
> comprised a variable amount of RAM.
>
> In my opinion the previous metrics have their interest and should be
> preserved. But as they reflect the behavior of the Solaris virtual
> memory subsystem rather than strictly speaking swap devices, maybe
> they should be moved to another plugin like vmem ?

I don't know enough about the memory management of Solaris to have an
opinion here, maybe someone with more knowledge can share his opinion?

In general, now would be the perfect time for such a change since the
next release may include backwards incompatible changes, such as this
one. I've added a note to the “Plans for 5.0” wiki page [0], so I don't
forget to check up on this patch before releaseing 5.0.

Regards,
—octo

[0] <http://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plans_for_5.0>