[collectd] Python Plugin issues - PyExc_ValueError

Sven Trenkel collectd at semidefinite.de
Wed May 5 11:45:42 CEST 2010

On 2010-05-04 06:06, dartarrow-collectd wrote:

Hi,

> I'm trying out the python plugin but I get this error when i start collectd:
>
>     [2010-05-04 04:03:58] Unhandled python exception in importing
>     module: ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload/time.so:
>     undefined symbol: PyExc_ValueError
>
> This is on a Debian Lenny with python2.5. I have installed the
> python-dev module.
> It's running Collectd-4.9.2 compiled from source.

this error message means that the time.so was looking for library symbols that
should have been in the collectd process, but didn't find them. There are two
possible reasons for this. Either you imported the the python module with just

   LoadPlugin python

instead of

   <LoadPlugin python>
     Globals true
   </LoadPlugin>

This is important because it tells the module loader to export the python symbols
to the main collectd process for all modules to see instead of keeping it private.

Another explanation might be that you used libtool1 to compile collectd. libtool1
doesn't support exporting symbols, so libtool2 is needed for this to work. Debian
has packages for both, so just install libtool2. If you have both installed, make
sure that libtool2 is used during the build process.