[collectd] collectd-nagios outputs performance data in floating point exponent form which is not allowed by nagios

Lao Wai laowai at live.com
Wed Mar 24 20:05:02 CET 2010

Hi, I noticed that when there are sufficiently large numbers in an RRD and I use collectd-nagios to query, the performance data is does not conform to the nagios documentation.

Example:

$ /opt/collectd/bin/collectd-nagios -s /mnt/collectd/socket -n interface/if_octets-eth0 -H domU-12-31-39-0E-D8-72.compute-1.internal
OKAY: 0 critical, 0 warning, 2 okay | rx=6.15408e+06;;;; tx=133014;;;;

Notice that the value for 'rx' is in exponent form. However, according to the nagios plugin documentation at http://nagiosplug.sourceforge.net/developer-guidelines.html#AEN201

****
Performance data is defined by Nagios as "everything after the | of
the plugin output" -
		please refer to Nagios documentation for information on capturing this
 data to logfiles.
		However, it is the responsibility of the plugin writer to ensure the
		performance data is in a "Nagios plugins" format.
		This is the expected format:
'label'=value[UOM];[warn];[crit];[min];[max]

		Notes:
   8. value, min and max in class [-0-9.]. Must all be the
			same UOM
****

So it seems that collectd-nagios does not conform to the specification required by nagios. Nagios extensions that parse performance data are therefore unable to parse the output from collectd-nagios when data is sufficiently large that it is printed in exponent form.

It would be great if this could get fixed :)

Thanks!