[collectd] Missing data in JSON output

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Mon Mar 22 09:12:11 CET 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 10:35:09PM -0700, Chris Buben wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Bob Cotton <bcotton at rallydev.com> wrote:
> > For systems that are "far away" from collectd without access to the
> > types database, it would be nice to have this info.
>
> Agreed, looking for the same thing too.

yeah, good point.

> > May I suggest a format for the JSON to incorporate this data. Again,
> > using load as an example:
> > [
> >   {"values":{"shortterm:GUAGE":0.0561523, "midterm:GUAGE":0.188477,
> > "longterm:GUAGE":0.276855},

I'm not a big fan: After parsing the JSON format, you need to parse the
strings that are the keys of the hash to separate the name and the type.
Second, it breaks backwards compatibility.

> Why change the structure of "values"?  Since the count of values, DS
> names, and DS types will always be the same, why not just introduce
> two new arrays, "dsnames" and "dstypes"?  Then the change would be
> backwards compatible, and a configuration switch could be added to
> enable this additional "DS metadata".

That's basically what I was going to propse (but then read Chris' email
;). I think we can even get away without the config option. If someone
wants to remove that data again for some reason (performance, most
likely) we can always introduce it later.