[collectd] Collectd and nagios on different machines

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Mon Mar 15 08:36:13 CET 2010

Hi Hrisheekesh,

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 05:03:05PM +0530, Hrisheekesh Kale wrote:
> I am a new user of collectd. I am trying to explore if there is a way
> of configuring collectd to work with nagios running on a different
> machine.
> I went through the documentation for collectd-nagios plugin and
> learned that one needs to pass the socket filename for collectd's unix
> sock plugin.

no, currently that's not possible. The way to go would be to teach the
"unixsock" plugin how to use TCP sockets. Some work towards this has
already been done, the half finished code is available in the
"ff/netcmd" branch of our Git repository.

Numerous people have expressed interest in that approach, but so far
nobody has picked up development.