[collectd] exec plugin stuck on mutex

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Tue Mar 9 21:03:46 CET 2010

Hi again,

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 11:46:20AM -0800, Ryan Tomayko wrote:
> # lsof -p 25335
> […]
> collectd 25335 root    0r  FIFO    0,6         1285434092 pipe
> collectd 25335 root    1w  FIFO    0,6         1285434093 pipe
> collectd 25335 root    2w  FIFO    0,6         1285434094 pipe
>
> Not much useful in there that I can see.

actually, this proves that this is in fact the forked child. Since the
network socket is not open, it means that the filehandles (except the
standard ones) have been closed and the pipes have been dup'ed to
standard input, output and error.

The next interesting bit would be the content of "/proc/$PID/status" for
such a weird child. Maybe the signal mask or UID/GID can tell me which
step would be the next and might be the failing one.

> I'll give that a shot. Thanks a ton for all your help here.

You're welcome ;) I'm astonished again and again how hard forking a
process "right" actually is ;)

Regards,
—octo