[collectd] SNMP Filtering

Domagoj Mikac dmikac at metronet.hr
Wed Mar 3 12:26:07 CET 2010

Hi,

In my network I have a several network devices (Cisco 7609) with over
1000 interfaces (snmpwalk over ifTable returns more than 1000 indexes).
Most of them are VLAN interfaces, which I don't have to monitor.

Filtering using chains works perfectly, but the problem is huge number
of snmpgets that overloads the CPU on the monitored devices.

So even though filtering mechanisam filters out all the unnecessary
interfaces, snmp plugin still pools counters from all the interfaces,
which results with CPU overload of monitored device.

Is there any solution to this problem ?

thanks
Domagoj