[collectd] Varnish plugin

Jerome Renard jerome.renard at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 08:41:19 CEST 2010

Hi Marc,

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 7:56 PM, Marc Fournier
<marc.fournier at camptocamp.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 10:51:03AM +0200, Florian Forster wrote:
>>
>> I'm currently thinking about moving information from the type instance
>> to the plugin instance. [...]
>>
>> If we move some of the information into the plugin instance, the data is
>> structured better:
>>
>>   host/varnish-default-storage-file/...
>>     .../total_requests
>>     .../requests-outstanding
>>     .../bytes-allocated
>>     .../bytes-free
>>   host/varnish-default-storage-mem/...
>>     .../total_requests
>>     .../requests-outstanding
>>     .../bytes-outstanding
>>     .../bytes-allocated
>>     .../bytes-free
>>   host/varnish-default-storage-synth/...
>>     .../total_requests
>>     .../requests-outstanding
>>     .../bytes-outstanding
>>     .../bytes-allocated
>>     .../bytes-free
>
> You'll find an implementation suggestion in this branch:
>
> http://github.com/mfournier/collectd/commits/varnish-data-reorg

I have applied your patches and I had to modifiy some minor things [1].
You'll see the result with all Collect* flags set to true attached [2].

Data really looks better organized but I am still unsure this is the way to go.

[snip]
> A couple of thoughts:
>
>  - as I understood, the plugin instance name is limited to 64 characters
>   (DATA_MAX_NAME_LEN). This could be an issue with long instance names. As
>   the trailing part gets truncated, we could end up having
>   varnish-quite_long_instance_name_more_than_64_characters_long-{sm,sma,sms}/bytes-allocated.rrd
>   ending as one same file.

I agree.

>  - would it make more sense to name the directories after the configuration
>   option ? ie: CollectWorkers -> varnish-instance-workers. They actually
>   match the varnish values names (same than returned by "varnishstat -l").

Sounds good to me.

Florian > any ideas about all this ? :)

Cheers

1. totals.diff.gz