[collectd] Greetings (oh and some nooby help)

Collect D collectd at graq.co.uk
Wed Jun 23 13:43:26 CEST 2010

> > The nginx stub is working, collectd appears to be writing rrd files
> > in /var/lib/collectd/www.mysite.com <http://www.mysite.com> (this feels
> > like the wrong place to me?). Running /var/www/collection3/bin/index.cgi
> > gives this error: opendir (/var/lib/collectd/rrd): No such file or
> > directory at ../lib/Collectd/Graph/Common.pm line 263
>
> RRD files should be in /var/lib/collectd/rrd/www.mysite.com by default.
> Did you specify another dir in your collectd.conf (DataDir in the
> rrdtool plugin section) ?
>
> Also, you may take a look at cgp[1], a web based front-end to collectd
> written in php.
>
> RRD files should be in /var/lib/collectd/rrd/www.mysite.com by default.
> Did you specify another dir in your collectd.conf (DataDir in the
> rrdtool plugin section) ?

The whole <Plugin rddtool> block was commented out in collectd.conf.
I installed cgp, and configured collectd.conf rrdtool :
<Plugin rrdtool>
#       DataDir "/usr/var/lib/collectd/rrd"
        DataDir "/var/lib/collectd/rrd"
        CacheTimeout 120
        CacheFlush   900
</Plugin>
The initial load, at this point, brings up blank images and generates a lot
of warnings in the weblog. That's because there isn't any data in RRDs
(having just moved collectd's logging point/dir). That might be
confusing/worrying for a noob. I don't know if you can build in a check for
that, just as some re-assuring feedback to the user.

However I now have some pretty graphs. I'm going to notch this up as a
success for now, thanks!

My next problem is that my nginx stats are not showing up.

I have this in my collectd.conf:
LoadPlugin nginx
<Plugin nginx>
        URL "http://www.mysite.com/nginxstub?auto"
</PLugin>

The rrd files are being produced:
> ls -1 /var/lib/collectd/rrd/www.mysite.com/nginx
nginx_connections-active.rrd
nginx_connections-reading.rrd
nginx_connections-waiting.rrd
nginx_connections-writing.rrd
nginx_requests.rrd

However cgp's hosts.php displays a little image stating that the plugin is
not loaded.
Is this a cgp plugin, a configuration issues, or something else?