[collectd] Greetings (oh and some nooby help)

Collect D collectd at graq.co.uk
Wed Jun 23 11:45:39 CEST 2010

Hi

I'm a collectd virgin, my strengths are more in software development that
system administration, but I have a need to wet my toes in data
gathering/monitoring for some servers.

You probably get a lot of these questions. I have Googled, as well as looked
for a list archive to search (but couldn't see one?). Basically I have
collectd installed, but don't know how to make my pretty graphs. Sorry.

I'm testing out collectd on a small virtual host, to try to get my head
around things. It's a Slicehost slice (ideally) running CentOS, nginx,
fast-cgi. To try to ease my learning curve I've installed Apache (as that is
what most docs seem to assume).

The nginx stub is working, collectd appears to be writing rrd files
in /var/lib/collectd/www.mysite.com (this feels like the wrong place to
me?). Running /var/www/collection3/bin/index.cgi gives this error: opendir
(/var/lib/collectd/rrd): No such file or directory at
../lib/Collectd/Graph/Common.pm line 263

Am I nearly there?

Very happy to go back to RTFM, just haven't found one that answers my
question (or rather, that I understand enough to solve my problem).